I’ve included the following terms and conditions to provide an understanding of my editing process for working with clients. If you have any questions regarding this information, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or 952-484-7083 and I will answer your questions.
- These terms and conditions apply to any projects done on behalf of the Client (you) by me (Heidi Peterson of HJP Communications).
- I will provide editing services agreed on by the Client and myself, in writing, based on the project discussed and received. If additional pages or changed pages are sent by the Client, an additional written agreement will be created to include the entire project.
- The editing work will be completed unsupervised and in a place determined by me, using my own computer equipment or tablet.
- I confirm that I am self-employed and will not claim benefits granted to a Client’s employees.
- All fact-checking is the responsibility of the Client, or any company or person designated to fact-check for the Client.
- No Client is under obligation to offer me editing work, and I am under no obligation to accept work from a Client.
- The editing service contract requires that the Client and I both acknowledge, in writing, that we have read, understood, and agreed to the terms and conditions.
Before beginning the editing project, the Client and I will agree, in writing, to the project terms.
- The editing method in which the project will be completed (in Microsoft Word Track Changes).
- How the project work will be annotated (e.g., Microsoft Word Track Changes, standard proofreading symbols on paper).
- Which editing style guide will be used for the project (e.g., in-house style guide, Chicago Manual of Style guide, The AP Stylebook, a combination of guides, other).
- For dictionary reference, I use Merriam-Webster.com. If another dictionary is preferred for your project, please advise and I will follow that reference and notate in the project quote.
- The project completion date, agreed on by the Client and me. (This is dependent on receiving the project at the time agreed on by the Client, as well as receiving answers to project inquiries in a timely manner. If either of these two situations is not adhered to, this will push out the project completion date.)
- The project fee, based on the written project quote I provided to the Client.
- The project completion date and project fee are based on my evaluation of the submitted project. If the project scope changes at any time during the editing phase, the project fee and project completion date will be adjusted and a new project contract will be provided. The Client has the option to sign the new project contract, or to decline the additional project scope and pay for the work done to date.
- A project quote is provided after the original material is evaluated and I discuss the project with the Client (via phone or email). This will ensure that the Client receives the desired project service.
- The Client will pay a per word fee, per project/flat fee, or hourly fee, according to the prior signed written agreement.
- Once the Client and I have agreed on the project fee, it is nonnegotiable unless the Client expands the project scope or requests additional services. In this event, a revised project quote and completion date will be provided in a new service contract.
- I will email the Client a project balance invoice immediately after returning the completed project. New clients shall make payment via PayPal in U.S. dollars within 14 days of receiving invoice. Existing clients shall make payment via check or PayPal in U.S. dollars within 14 days of receiving invoice.
- If the project is lengthy, I may invoice periodically for completed stages, as agreed to in the editing project contract.
- Invoices not paid within terms are subject to a 1.5% monthly finance charge.
- For new U.S.-based clients, for a project fee of $200.00 or more, I require a 50% PayPal deposit before beginning the project. (Once the signed contract and project is sent to me.)
- For all international clients, I require a 50% PayPal prepayment before editing services are rendered. (Once the signed contract and project is sent to me.)
- For existing U.S.-based clients, I may ask for a deposit for large editing projects. Smaller editing projects will not require a deposit. Deposits for existing clients may be paid via check or PayPal.
- Deposit payments are due before any editing work begins.
- If a deposit is required, the project timeline will be determined once the prepayment is received.
- A Client is free to cancel any project for any reason by email. I must acknowledge this cancellation by return email for this to be valid.
- The Client will be responsible to pay a project fee proportionate to the amount of any work already completed (minus any deposit paid).
- If the Client cancels the project before any editing work is completed, the Client will be refunded any deposit made.
- I may cancel an editing project at any time for any reason by providing email notice to the Client. In the unlikely event that I cancel a project, I will provide a refund for editing services that were not completed but prepaid for by the Client.
- If a Client incurs unusual or difficult circumstances that cause cancellation or delay (e.g., family crisis, illness), the Client should contact me to discuss the cancellation policy terms. I strive to be fair and helpful.
- If I incur unusual or difficult circumstances that cause cancellation or delay (e.g., family crisis, illness), I will email the Client at the earliest opportunity and work to renegotiate the project time frame or refer the Client to an editing colleague who can meet the original project timeline.
- The Client’s files will be kept confidential and will not be shared with anyone (other than the Client’s contractors, if need be, with prior written permission).
- I will not upload the Client’s files to external websites or distribute them to third parties unless specifically authorized to do so, in writing, by the Client.
- All content provided to me by the Client for editing is owned by the Client. (As such, the Client agrees to hold me harmless from and against all claims, liabilities and expenses from any potential or actual copyright or trademark misappropriation or infringement claimed against them.)
- Any content created by me as part of the editing process will become the Client’s copyright, unless otherwise agreed.